ET Affinity

Something is not working. You need help with ET related things. Spam posts will be deleted!
gR!ns
her blog

ET Affinity

Post by gR!ns »

Hi

I tried this program few times when I played with my laptop. Didn't notice much improve (and that little improve can be placebo effect too).

Did I understaded the purpose of this program right? Should make ET to run multi-core or to make it run on single core in multi-core computer?

I know that ET is single-core game, so I'm just wondering how this works or not work. Somebody have tried this program? Any experince?

Cheers
gaoesa
Site Admin

Re: ET Affinity

Post by gaoesa »

If you use it, you should make ET run single core. If ET runs on multiple cores (some program threads are started in another core), it is a problem with the Windows. The issue is that ET was not designed to run on multiple cores so the benefits don't exist there. Furthermore, it can cause performance degradation with sharing the same data between the cores.

If you want better performance, some people say com_soundMegs 160 is among the best ways to do it. That is because if the memory runsout, the ET will start reusing the memory by freeing the oldest sounds and loading the new sounds to their place.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
gR!ns

Re: ET Affinity

Post by gR!ns »

Okey, now I got it. Well I don't have performace issues anymore but it's good to know some tweaking things if other players need to know.

Thank you Gao!