XP reset

Ideas to improve our server or the forum.
gaoesa
Site Admin
her blog

XP reset

Post by gaoesa »

I'm not sure has this been on the discussion before.

What would you think if we would change the XP reset to happen for every 3 maps. This would ensure the XP reset happens the same time for each player and also it could provide some more fun achieving upgrades and not just running to kill.

Please post your opinions. Worth a test?
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
TheSilencerPL

Re: XP reset

Post by TheSilencerPL »

You already know my opinion, but I will repeat it once more on the forum.

I don't like that idea. It's too short in my opinion. People like to get some experience, some advantages it gives. When it's taken away it's pointless to try for the xp as it is reset after the 3rd map, or even faster if one joined in the middle or at the 2nd map.

There are things people are used too, like the binocs for example which are hard to get with that quick XP reset.
"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it."
-- E. Hubbard
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

You get binocs after you gain 20 xp in the battle sense. Not very hard at all. The problem with persistent XP save is that people stop trying and everyone goes into rambo. Not only medics but other classes too. The 3 map XP reset has been in effect for a short while, but already it has improved the teamplay aspects. Also, it is much more joyable to actually deserve the upgrades rather then only having them and then running around without the team.

After a while, I'm sure that most of our regulars will get used to the teamplay this setting enforces to do.

Your opinion has been noted as well as many positive opinions. Since They are unlikely to post in here, I will list those in here:

Positive side who have explicitly said it:
ipe
endenth
rabioni
conjito
gaoesa
numbnuts
RedLine
sfs|Gaunt
Zorlic
Mooperi

Negative side who have explicitly said it:
-

Explicitly in between (need more testing):
-

Don't exactly know the opinion:
TheSilencer
TheSituation
Random

EDIT:
Updated players and removed absent players.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
divine_one

Post by divine_one »

This enforces some teamplay for sure, but imo the time between resets should be much longer. I have played at servers with short time xp save before, and that works well, but there was a 6-8 (or more) maps campaigns. I think that if you keep xp reset in present form, server could lose some low experienced players. Besides it's pretty annoying if you just can't get some useful skills, and ppl complaining a lot.
P.S. Starting with only 30 bullets after every 3 maps drives me crazy... [smilie=russian_roulette.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

That is a valid point and some tuning can be done. Also I thnk it is possible that the less experienced players might get some boost in getting the level upgrades faster and participating the game more actively. Also, it is easier to come in the middle when you don't need to wait for the reset so long.

Changing the map count is a possibility but first I wanted to test the reset with the original game setting. That is 3 map campaign.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
conjito

Post by conjito »

I read many say 10000-7500xp then reset.
I personal think 3-6 maps then reset, ppl with much xp probably have 4 stars in diffrent classes,
and maps will be done to fast. Like Gao said, teamplay will be much more
important to win maps, and much more fun then seeing 5 medics running around killing the other team.
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I read many say 10000-7500xp then reset.
Actually there is only 2 players saying this. Most are just wondering if 3 maps is too short and should be increased. Last night we had a chat about 4 maps perhaps. However, I want to point out one more view of the 3 maps. With this short time span, it is easy to play a 3 map "campaign" of a proper gaming and then start the next one. Almost getting addicted to the game again.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
TheSilencerPL

Post by TheSilencerPL »

I would like to mention 1 negative side of this 3 map xp reset. I am not against the xp reset, this is how my previous post might have looked like, but against so short xp reset period. 3 maps IMO is too short. That's all in this matter from my side.
But back to the mentioned negative thing. I noticed that players don't want to play engies anymore. Don't know, maybe there were only new players at that time when I observed that yesterday, but the amount of people wanting to be an engie dropped. Maybe it's because engies have a lot of things to do, and they mainly gain xp in the engineering, not in light weapons, battle sense and so on. This won't give engies double colts in a short period of time for example. What do you think?
"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it."
-- E. Hubbard
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

My observations differ a bit. I have not vitnessed any drop with engineers. Also, my experience from another server where this type of XP reset has been enabled for years, there isn't either any problems having engineers. Perhaps even the opposite. There are always players who prefer certain class, but this system may give better opportunity and more motivation to select the class that supports the team better in the circumstances instead of playing the always favourite one.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

We are testing 6 maps and reset now.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
Random

Post by Random »

First i thought, this sucks. No more speed, no more ammo, no more heal, no more rampage.
Played more and its ok, playable. More kind of clan thing, i preferred more likely on puplic servers that xp-save (you know, its hard to make some people play as team, in puplic). But it's ok if enough people in server (all classes in use). In small games, i think it causes camp. No ammo, no heal, no good moving abilities. Look behind corner and go back healing.

I don't really have strong opinion either way, yet. Kind of same to me. U can still Rambo after couple stars. Like usually in ID games.
thesituation

Post by thesituation »

I like the 6 map xp reset. But dont think it should be any less than 6 maps. But i should say i didnt play alot when u tried 3 maps reset, but the little i tried didt give a good feeling. :/ In my experience i feel with 6 maps then xp reset its more teamwork and more fun to play. :)
TheSilencerPL

Post by TheSilencerPL »

6 maps xp reset is way better than 3 maps IMO.
-- E. Hubbard
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

i still miss dual pistols...i never get em before restart...
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

Dual pistols is light weapons level 4.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development