Teambalance

Not happy? Problems with someone? Complaints about kicks, bans, admin level or abusive things.
divine_one
her blog

Teambalance

Post by divine_one »

For some time I have noticed something what bothers me a lot. It looks like some players with high k/d cares only about their rating and no worry at all about the balance of the teams (all more than 2.000 players in one team against the newbies in second team). It leads to ridiculous situations when the weaker team can't just even exit from the spawn, not mentioning about any normal competition.
Here we have a number of regular players and in my opinion we all should more care about fair play. I dont want to be taken as a complainer or something, but lasting longer this situation can make that the less experienced players will leave the server. And still, where is the fun when victory comes too easy?
Especially regular players or senior members should keep this in mind, although they not always do.
P.S. Of course when the server admins are present everything is ok and we all behave beautifully and play fair :)
Lara C.
Site Admin

Re: Teambalance

Post by Lara C. »

I know what you mean Divine. But there are also several players who have k/d ratio from 2,5 or higher. I have already seen some with 6 ;) They get it when server is empty. But that all does not say anything when they play on crowded server (even I kick their asses badly) :D

When admins are on server you should tell them by pm, that is easiest way. But normally we look after for having even teams.

When there is no admin online you can do also something:
- change in weaker team yourself to even up teams
- ask players to change team if you are already in weaker and situation did not change
- vote for shuffle
free.

Post by free. »

lara u r talking 'bout me with k/d=>6 vs. bots? [smilie=ireful3.gif]

divine, i completely agree with your opinion as i also find myself sometimes caged up in my very own spawn just living for seconds... i then try to say something in public chat like 'ked_adams, would you mind to switch to your team pls?'

what bathers me even more is that in the last times, entire groups within a teamside dont even care about the game and just troll around, leaving one or two fight vs. the complete enemy side. this happened yesterday and the day before yesterday to me and it was quite frustrating - i just left then :(
Gaunt

Post by Gaunt »

I was wondering how much time it would have required to answer divine_one post ( still not an admin?!!)
The situation strong team joiner/ lame player is always a problem that can only be solved with strong effort especially from experienced players.
Divine is one of them and I think he is able to understand the difference between a strong player and someone with high skills in fragging bots.
I don't play so much on himalia servers because I am now part of a clan, but one of the situations that often made the game ridiculous was the frequent presence of players ready to cheer for a victory resolved in few minutes from the map start, but the first to log off when things get tough.
I'm an engineer...
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I was wondering how much time it would have required to answer divine_one post
I'm sorry if an answer was expected. Because I didn't see a question and thought this was an opening to discuss and consider among the more experienced players.

In the next version of the mod, the KR can be hidden from scoreboard and therefore, the blatant playing to achieve high KR should be reduced. This did recently become a problem by few players who forgot, or never learned, what kind of game ET is. The issue with selfish players more interested of testing trickjumps and similar fooling around while the team is suffering, is an issue what admins need to put more focus.
but one of the situations that often made the game ridiculous was the frequent presence of players ready to cheer for a victory resolved in few minutes from the map start, but the first to log off when things get tough
So it was frequent. You have been Himalian friend, with putteam command and access to the private section of our forum for a long time. If that was frequent, I would have hoped you to at least discuss with admins about the players doing this rather then posting this as an accusation after the fact.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
Gaunt

Post by Gaunt »

gaoesa wrote:I'm sorry if an answer was expected. Because I didn't see a question and thought this was an opening to discuss and consider among the more experienced players.
Replying to a post does not require an explicit question and, considering that the divine has posted the topic as a kind of call for help from all the players, (especially the stronger ones responsible of the attitude in the issue) my statement makes reference not uniquely to the intervention of moderators and / or administrators, but to the whole community itself.
gaoesa wrote: In the next version of the mod, the KR can be hidden from scoreboard and therefore, the blatant playing to achieve high KR should be reduced. This did recently become a problem by few players who forgot, or never learned, what kind of game ET is.
I don't think is a recent problem, and unfortunately not resolvible only by hiding the K/D.
Sites that keep track of the rating unfortunately make things difficult. I do not want to demonize these sites and competition is always welcome, but as you yourself say, many players have focused more on the ratings or personal satisfactions that on the authentic goal of the game. And this forum has some threads that confirm this.
gaoesa wrote:The issue with selfish players more interested of testing trickjumps and similar fooling around while the team is suffering, is an issue what admins need to put more focus.
Not only admins. Admins and Mods do what they can. The purpose of what I wrote (and I think was the same attempt of Divine) is to call attention of all the players that participate to the game. I think that everyone agrees that educating is more efficient that punishing. So this discussion should be the way to express to those who behave in a lame way how is it possible not only to achieve the same satisfaction but also get more fun in a balanced competition.
gaoesa wrote:So it was frequent. You have been Himalian friend, with putteam command and access to the private section of our forum for a long time. If that was frequent, I would have hoped you to at least discuss with admins about the players doing this rather then posting this as an accusation after the fact.
This is not something related only to Himalia server, and maybe I expressed myself in a wrong way because I do not intend to accuse none of the admin staff.
I never believed !putteam comand or any other way to force balance have ever worked. I always preferred to talk directly to the people interested for asking to switch or balance as I never left my team in any bad situation even the more unfair one.
I talked in chat on server with you when these kind of situations happened, but unfortunately is so frequent (everywhere, on every server) that is not easy to solve, at least immediately.
I'm an engineer...
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I don't think is a recent problem, and unfortunately not resolvible only by hiding the K/D.
In the extent that is happening now, it is a recent problem. Most of the time when I played on the server, rather little these days, players were willing to make team effort and the KR didn't seem to be any issue. At the moment, there are many players who have turned into looking at their KR.

About the tracker sites, I do like to note that our server does not have reduced spawn times, huge slot count and the friendly fire is enabled. These alone make the server less friendly to "rater" type of players. Furthermore, the new TSP, or whatever it is, is not enabled on the server and it will not be. The big difference between reading the KR values from the scoreboard and browsing websites, is that the score board is available while they play. Of course this has an impact as not so many bother browsing tracker websites and if they do, probably they would be more interested to play on some different servers.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/