How to avoid voicechat spamming

Information for Enemy Territory players.
gaoesa
Site Admin
her blog

How to avoid voicechat spamming

Post by gaoesa »

Every now and then some players are enthusiatic with voice chats. Sometimes from custom chats and soemtimes the original chats.

There is a cvar that will disable the sound from voicechats: cg_novoicechat 0/1 .
An example "/cg_novoicechats 1" will disable all sounds from voicechats.

You can easily make a toggle of this and add it to your config:

Code: Select all

// Chatsound toggle
set voiceoff "set cg_novoicechats "1"; set novoice vstr voiceon; echo ^9Voicechats: ^1muted;"
set voiceon "set cg_novoicechats "0"; set novoice vstr voiceoff; echo ^9Voicechats: ^2unmuted;
set novoice vstr voiceoff
bind "k" vstr novoice
That is what I have when I want to listen to music while playing instead of random voice cvat sounds.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
nagisa

Re: How to avoid voicechat spamming

Post by nagisa »

Is there any way to avoid seeing voicechat text on the screen, having it only appear in the console?
I always play with v-chat sounds off, but seeing a wall of text with spam constantly gets quite anoying.

Temporary fix i have now is to set the chat height to 1, having only 1 message displayed at the time. Makes it a lot better but its also easy to miss anything thats actually said.
cg_teamchatsonly also works but you wont know if an admin or someone is warning you for something.
gR!ns

Post by gR!ns »

nagisa wrote:cg_teamchatsonly also works but you wont know if an admin or someone is warning you for something.
No need to worry bout warnings or something if you play with the rules and behave nicely :)

EDIT: Oke, there it cvar for this. It's cg_noVoicetext. Set 1 for this, and you dont see them anymore.
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

This is an old thread and for an additional information, you can use "cg_noVoiceChats 2" which will disable only global chat sounds. All the custom sounds are in the global chat so this will mute those and you can still hear all the team chat sounds. I.e. "I need medic" etc.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
nagisa

Post by nagisa »

Thank you gr!ns cg_novoicetext worked wonders!
And yea i know that, but it still feels a bit so-so, before ive gotten pm's why i dont answer :P
Also thanks gao but i dont like the chatsounds at all, ive played with them off for years cause i find them so anoying cause its happening every 2-3 seconds.