Brink, has anyone played it?

Discussions of games that are not Enemy Territory
A_Tosa_Inu
her blog

Brink, has anyone played it?

Post by A_Tosa_Inu »

The game Brink did anyone played it yet?
neroWinger

Re: Brink, has anyone played it?

Post by neroWinger »

i only saw the trailer after gao told me to watch it :=)
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

just watched the trailer...everybody died in it :(

well it looks like decent game thou im not into shootting games other than et,bulletstorm and mgs series...
Radez

Post by Radez »

I have heard its an mixture of borderlands and TF 2; so nice mix I gues?
Sm0k3 a f3w blunts 4nd fr4g with|THC|RA-deZ
A_Tosa_Inu

Post by A_Tosa_Inu »

I have not played it yet.
I heard the quality of real game is much lower than on the trailers.
The game Singularity had the same. Good trailers, kinda ugly ingame.
So i am wonderdering if thats correct.
I can't find axual ingame play movies, just what Id had released.
A_Tosa_Inu

Post by A_Tosa_Inu »

Ok i seen some ingame play, what i think was on pc.
I mostly test my pc at: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com
It looks like Brink is far more heavy to run than Crysis 2.
I can run Crysis 2 in the heavyest mode, but i doub Brink can do this to.

What realy wonders me is this:
Brink, can you run it
Brink, can you run it
Brink.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 21014 times
Crysis 2, can you run it.
Crysis 2, can you run it.
crysis2.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 21014 times
Running on heavyest modes with highest AA:
Crysis Warhead 95 fps
Crysis 2 56 fps
Compaired with the "can i run it" specs i think i get maximum of 30 fps in Brink.
neroWinger

Post by neroWinger »

i have the same results like u in brink, not recommended but enough to run...
but i dont think that i ll spend my time to that game^^
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

in that case ill rather stick whit my mugen and et...
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

They are still releasing patches to fix the game. I would wait until they manage it properly. However, it still could be a very fun game. Little weird it is so heavy but probably for a reason.

PS. Do note the game is among the first games that use and require OpenGL 3.1. It seems that for this reason, the driver manufacturers are now finding bugs they didn't know existed since noone was using those features in popular high end products. When this stage is done, I'm sure it could be game worth trying. No comment on the price though.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

as usual gao says something that sounds smart :)

meh it looks good but if neros and mr.dog´s computer cannot run it i seriously doubt my computer can even think about running it so i think its off the limits for me...and then again it will cost too much no matter how much it costs....
A_Tosa_Inu

Post by A_Tosa_Inu »

Ok lets make fun here.
I went to the city this afternoon to buy Brink.
Installed it, sudently Steam starts to whine i havent used my account lately and i have to verify my account e-mail, ok done, than Steam starts to whine i must change my password, grr, ok done, Steam starts to whine i have to verify my e-mail adres, omg.

I go start the game, introduction video looks cool with 115 fps with Fraps.
The game starts and.. 34 fps, game looks like its made in 2005, unsharp and blurred. Well getting hungry after this, close the game, i go to the kitchen to make dinner.
Come back after dinner, steam starts to download patch number 3 (pff the game is 1,5 weeks old), i start the game, after the loading, no mouse responce, arggg. While i had mouse responce in the loading.
Tryed to restart Steam, same problems, restarted the pc, and restart steam and load the game, after the introdution video sudendly it gives a weird ramm error. But no crash.
Ok so i think i have pc problems, i grap another game crysis 2, and??
Works perfecly. Back to Brink, same problems during the introduction logos of Splashdamage and Bethesa i have mouse movement, after this you get the caracter selection screen, no mouse responce.

So i think bad instalation, i remove the game from my pc, and want to install it from dvd again, nope steam says i have to download it, the original dvd instalation took 34 minutes, the download more than 2,5 hours.

Perfect, steam is getting out of my ears, and it brings me to the brink of maddness. [smilie=shok.gif] :D
6 hours of my time wasted.
A_Tosa_Inu

Post by A_Tosa_Inu »

After the hughe download time the game is running.
cpu usage = 53% -73%
Ramm usage = 50% - 64%
FPS = 50 - 98

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, E8500
Memory: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333MHz, 3072MB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, 1792 MB DDR3
Headphones: Logitech G35
Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
Motherboard: Asus P5E3 DeLuxe DDR3, Socket 775

Going up and down like that i almost start to thing there is some sort of mem leaking in the game.

Played for 2,5 hours now (not online), first impressing the game is running smooth, grafics still look outdated. Some pieces look cool and high grafic, other like there low grafics.
brink 2011-05-24 23-31-54-92.jpg
brink 2011-05-24 23-31-54-92.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 20996 times
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

lol even the old quake my cousin had back at 2002 had better graphics!!!

yeh im sure of it i am not going to buy that game....

btw does thy graphic card(or sumthing) affect the graphics?
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

It seems the decision to go with OpenGL 3.1 has backfired them pretty bad. Usually I would think the decision to go with something so new would be to gain either huge performace gain or great graphical effects. The graphical effects are more interesting in single player games then in multiplayer shooters. This time I think BRINK didn't benefit from it at all. It may still change of course.

However, I think the problems BRINK has will benefit other new games that are going to use the 3.1. For this reason I would hope they will get the issues worked out and even gain back some popularity. Unfortunately, the problem list is really large with this game and graphics problems are only one portion of it. Their dedicated servers keep crashing all the time and they don't yet offer Linux versions. Steem seems to be a problematic thing also. Of course, their top coders can only concentrate on one major issue at one time and I think the network code i.e. lag had a major upgrade in the last patch.

They don't have a one map demo version for testing which is also bad in my opinion. That may turn off a lot of potential customers since after all the problems people have reported, many can be too scared to put the money for it without knowing what they will get.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
A_Tosa_Inu

Post by A_Tosa_Inu »

I realy think going back to open_gl instead of Directx, is someway weird.

They reccomend the Nvidia GTX 460.
I have a Dualcore, and they reccomand a Quad Core i5.
But i wonder if the game can use all 4 cores of a quad core.
As far as i know Crysis is the only game with a engine that can use it. Even in Call of Duty or Medal of Honor they recomment to shut of 2 cores of a Quad core, lolz.
The biggest diferance between the 2 cards is the DirectX version, but this game aparantly dont use this.

But my card is fast enought to give outstanding preformance in Crysis games.

GeForce GTX 295 896/1792 MB
GeForce GTX 460 768/1024 MB
Funny is that in some bechmark test there is verry little differance between the 2 cards.

I have a Dualcore E8500 @ 3.16GHz
But overcloking it to 4.00GHz dont show noticible differances in Brink.
In Call of Duty en Battlefield singelplayer it gives a boost of 15%

Video Card:
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS / ATI Radeon HD 2900

What realy weird is if i overclock my videocard and cpu, the grafics are worst!

The things i find most weird is the blurred textures and visual depth of the game ist as a bit misty in a weird way. Also weird is that blue container sin the game have sharper images than the red ones.
So i totaly don't understand why they recomment a heavy pc preformance for this game. I think most can play it, aslong your pc isnt older than 3 or 4 years.
I realy would like to see fraps screenshots in fullsize, 5mb, of a pc with the reccomended pc specs.

The game lags many complain about are caused by Steam and not pc or connections.

One other very importand thing.
This is a teamup play.
If you go solo, without sticking to your teammates and don't give them 100% backup, your team is bound to loose.
Because of the solo multiplayer style of most gamers the last years, many will not like this game i think.
Spamming of granates is not possible, and granades don't kil and gib, they knock you down, and you can stand up after 2 sec.

Not going for a demo, is simple i think, sold = sold.
In COD Blackops they released a demo after 4 months, lol.

The biggest thing i find weird is the hughe differances between some area's of the map, fps differance between 111 fps and 56 fps, in Fraps. I don't know what cause this. Textures, lighting, or my pc?