New Server

Latest news from the server.
gaoesa
Site Admin
her blog

New Server

Post by gaoesa »

Hello

As some of you probably have noticed, we have a new server called Himalia [New Server]. We have opened this server for the purpose to see if the community can move to this new location. The reason why we are looking for a new server is that we need an upgrade. This upgrade has the prupose to ensure fluid operation and network connectivity. Our current server has served well, and the host is good. But we have just out grown from the capacity. The new server is not located in Finland. I would have rather upgraded inside Finland and better yet, with the current host, but the fact is that monthly costs of Finnish servers of this size are at least 100 euros higher per month then from central Europe. As we are an international community, it should not be a problem. However, I wanted to share reasonings for moving out from Finland as I expect this can be an argument to some of the community members.

I ask all of the community members to go test this new server. To see if it works well before the real migration. Please test it and report your honest opinion to our forum. Try to play games with as much real players as possible, if you can. Also, if you have ideas, please share them too.

The IP address is: 95.211.108.137:27960
For the moment, it does not support players using 2.55 clients. This will be changed later on.

Also, TeamSpeak 3 server is operational and gr!ns is an admin there. If you want to join it, ask him about it. The forum has a TS3 section with login details that is hidden from others but from those who actually are in the user group. So, in order to join TeamSpeak, you must have a registered forum account which is upgraded to the TS group.

The new server is almost a copy of the old server. Except with few less open slots (20+4). This change is to endorse better quality games. It sometimes gets very hard to play in very large teams. If necessary, we can open a second small server. Or if community resists this change to the bone, we can increase the slot numbers back to (30+6).
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
divine_one

Re: New Server

Post by divine_one »

I have tested:
Goldrush (from the beginning to the end)
Bremen (few minutes)
Special Delivery (from the beginning to the end)
Venice (from the beginning to the end)
Warbell (from the beginning to the end)
Supply Depot (from the beginning to the end)

On all maps I have played against the bots as an attacker engineer and so far everything seems to works well.
Of course, this does not means that there are no bugs, but for now i don't have found any.
pistolero

Post by pistolero »

I tested the server playing against bots for 10 minutes and didn't run any problems.
I got 50 ping which is less than I usually have when playing in EU servers (mainly YCN hosted ones).

Would it be possible to have normal hitbox system in the new server? Maybe it's just me but leg/arm hitboxes
seem very random and personally I'm not huge fan of them. As an idea they're good but on the ground they don't always work.

And maybe everyone should have the same rate and cl_maxpackets for equality and so that people like me wouldn't find excuses when we've
died to someone using "wrong settings" :P

And last is it really necessary to mute people for cursing? If it's because server has some younger players I don't see the point since
you're shooting people in the face with smg's and exploding them in pieces with nades and panzerfausts....
Saying few mean words is nothing compared to that, right?
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

Thank you for testing. It is important that the game plays smoothly in the new server before we start migration.
And last is it really necessary to mute people for cursing? If it's because server has some younger players I don't see the point since
you're shooting people in the face with smg's and exploding them in pieces with nades and panzerfausts....
Saying few mean words is nothing compared to that, right?
It's not because of younger players. It is very annoying for many people having to read stupid chat lines where there isn't even any emotional context for the curses. Also, there is very few curses that are censored. All of them were chosen by requests because some people were using those curses just to fill sentences. Emotions do belong to the game and the unmute command is there, also, players have the ability to vote for unmute. So there isn't really any problem about it. On the other hand, maybe it is good thing that a player who gets angry enough to write curses, will have a moment to cool down without the ability to write.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
mk13.se

Post by mk13.se »

I have been on the new server as well and it seems like everything is working great!
I was only playing bots though, it would be interesting to see how the server would handle itself when it is full.
Hope that the migration goes painless!