player used bad name

Not happy? Problems with someone? Complaints about kicks, bans, admin level or abusive things.
gaoesa
Site Admin
her blog

Re: player used bad name

Post by gaoesa »

Please don't twist the discussion from nazi names to your name. I asked you to chnage your name because I was worried it could confuse people. If that does happen, you will indeed change your name. By the time, I was only worried and not sure about it.

Whats this retarded thing puolakanaho. Didn't you read. People who use names like Hitler are 9 out of 10 times retarded. Why would they be using such a name. It is unlikely they don't know the name or it's history. However, since it is a game of the WW2 period. sometimes people can make the mistake more easily and also, like you said, there can be other reasons as well.

We will not, however, tolerate racisim or nazisim on Himalia server.
and then again when i changed my name to himalian you told me to change and i didnt change(because if would have ruined the whole thing)does that make me retarded?
One more time. Is changing the player name considered retarded in your mind puolakanaho?
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

you said that if somebody tells someone their name offends them they will change it to something else IF THEY ARENT RETARDS

when i changed my name to himalia you started suggesting me to change it to himaliapuo or something like that :

and i rather ment it as a joke but since this is internet people take things too seriously >>
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

Ok. You got me there. I ment if people wont change their name from something stupid like Hitler to something else, they are most likely retards.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

btw now seriously speaking i ACTUALY dont like people use the term retard :|
[AmA]Iku-Turso

Post by [AmA]Iku-Turso »

Sorry for picking up relatively old and "closed" discussion, but I'd like to give some point of view.

Most of the time I play on german server, and they have this rule on their servers:
6.No Nazi-shit! (talking, cursing, nicknames, tags, movements) Such people will be banned in that second and forever.
a.That counts for all kind of discrimination.
b.Do not try Nazi-Shit even for fun!
And I think that is good rule for german and international server. This server is finnish server, but here plays also few players from other countries. And if for example these Nazi-names are allowed then new players for example from Poland may take those kind of names offensive and that way get a really bad feeling about server and thinking some finnish retards are having fun with nazi-shit and it's ok for 'em.

There is punkbuster feature that automaticly blocks certain names. Why this server doesn't use that list/feature.

For me nicknames doesn't matter. But for someone could matter.

-Iku-Turso-
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I know very succesfull international server which don't have no name rules. Himalia is not an exception in that sense.

The point is valid but mostly very hard to implement. How many finns would know to kick out player named "totenkopf" or something weird for us. I think the central european founders can correct the spelling when needed.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
[AmA]Iku-Turso

Post by [AmA]Iku-Turso »

gaoesa wrote:I know very succesfull international server which don't have no name rules. Himalia is not an exception in that sense.

The point is valid but mostly very hard to implement. How many finns would know to kick out player named "totenkopf" or something weird for us. I think the central european founders can correct the spelling when needed.
Yep, it's fine for me. No problem. Just wondering, since it's kinda easy to use that automatic punkbuster feature to block nazi-names, then why not? That's pretty weak explanation to say: "Others don't have that, so why we should?" It's like saying: "My neighbor dumps his trashes to his front yard, so I'm doing the same".

Well, it's not my thing to say what's good or bad. It's your server and I respect that. Just giving some options at time to time and maybe little criticism will eventually develop server to some direction.

-Iku-Turso-
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

@turso

players with nazi names will be asked to change their name and if they dont they get kicked by admins anyway..... thats how it has been handled so far ;) i personally like to call such pple retards as well if they dont change nick ....
and.... we dont want that kind of retards in our community [smilie=derisive.gif]

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

That's pretty weak explanation to say: "Others don't have that, so why we should?" It's like saying: "My neighbor dumps his trashes to his front yard, so I'm doing the same".
If that is bad argument then why do you use those. I gave you counter argument to overrule your initial argument. With the same level. Do note that I have not used that as an argument before you insisted we should follow the lead of some succesfull german server. Because they have it.

Making random rules is not good. Any name rule is always a random rule. We have a rule that players need to respect other players. If that rule is breached, then actions are always taken.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I thinked a little and I think we can test the mod's inbuilt name censoring system.

I'm sure the central european co-founders will provide me a lits of nazi names to censor.

It can be a good midway between arbitrary rules and letting people use stupid nick names.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
[AmA]Iku-Turso

Post by [AmA]Iku-Turso »

gaoesa wrote:
That's pretty weak explanation to say: "Others don't have that, so why we should?" It's like saying: "My neighbor dumps his trashes to his front yard, so I'm doing the same".
If that is bad argument then why do you use those. I gave you counter argument to overrule your initial argument. With the same level. Do note that I have not used that as an argument before you insisted we should follow the lead of some succesfull german server. Because they have it.

Making random rules is not good. Any name rule is always a random rule. We have a rule that players need to respect other players. If that rule is breached, then actions are always taken.
Hmm, actually I used that german server rule as example rather than argumenta. My argumenta was:
And I think that is good rule for german and international server. This server is finnish server, but here plays also few players from other countries. And if for example these Nazi-names are allowed then new players for example from Poland may take those kind of names offensive and that way get a really bad feeling about server and thinking some finnish retards are having fun with nazi-shit and it's ok for 'em.
My english is time to time a bit confusingly messy, but the main thing was, that some first timers from central europe may take that offensive that there might be nicknames from nazi-germany and stuff. That may influence to their way of thinking about finnish people. They may find it difficult to understand that people far up north (where server is located, not that moron with nazi-name) are having fun with nazi-stuff.

Something like that was my only consern. Like I said couple of times, this doesn't bother me at all. It's totally fine like it is right now. Like I originally posted I just wanted to give another point of view. And if I were servers owner, i maybe would like to build up server that serves as many people as possible. Not only finns.

@queenmary: Yeah, that's the most used way to deal with lame names and nazi-shit. And that is good way. But only negative thing with that is: There is no Admin all the time around.

@gaoesa: I think many people appreciates that decision to take some name filter on.

-Iku-Turso-
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

a friend of mine drew a pentagram out of alcohol into school wall then lighted it up

teacher laughted about it and then told him to repay the damage...enought said about finnish humor i belive???

atleast i and alot of the finnish people i know dont take nazi names insulting but i have also heard people get offended if someone says krieg :|

its impossible to please everyone and where do you draw the line between good name and insulting?
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

@puolakanaho
its impossible to please everyone and where do you draw the line between good name and insulting?
we are playing a game where nazis are involved in the game therefore nazi names are not acceptable.... as explained before it makes the game too realistic to have real nazinicks... not more not less.... its just about the NAZI names..... believe it or not... its really that easy ;-)

cheers
[smilie=girl_devil.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

Nazi names for fun is the stupid thing. I don't see the game theme has much to do with it. Furthermore, I don't see the game involving nazis. I only see the axis and the allies. The axis doesn't mean only Nazi-Germany.

I think it is time to lock the topic. There will be some amount of censoring to names. Once I get a list of the censorable ones.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development