Mahalo

You're going to be offline for a while. You would like to introduce yourself. Please post anything you would like to share about yourself in here.
mk13.se
her blog

Mahalo

Post by mk13.se »

Soo, I've been playing on this server now for some time on and off, and now might be the time to introduce myself.
I am just a bored 32 yo medical student from Gothenburg, Sweden. Ive grown up with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom and all the other games of my age. I love ET because of its simplicity and that you can play it on almost any computer. The simplicity is brilliant.
I truly enjoy Himalias server since people on here are very well behaved and most of the time there is a good mix between experienced gamers and newbs so that there is something for everyone. Great job!!
I have never played fps in any organization, nor have I been involved in any e-sports, (other then a bit och Star Craft), so I do not see myself as a particulary skilled gamer, although I enjoy it greatly!!
Thanks again for a great server, and thank you all for a great gaming community!!
//mk13.se
gaoesa
Site Admin

Re: Mahalo

Post by gaoesa »

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for making an introduction of yourself. It is always a pleasure when an old regular takes a moment to join the forum for an introduction.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
mk13.se

Post by mk13.se »

I might also add that I've done a bit of map designing with radiant although mostly for an open source version of the old UFO game. I have started to look at map design for ET and it don't look to hard. I would love to maybe present some maps here in the future, if I get something awsome done.
Thanks again for a great server!
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

please do.

we most certainly do need new maps to the server :D
free.

Post by free. »

hi and thanks for ur introduction! :)
Gaunt

Post by Gaunt »

mk13.se wrote:I might also add that I've done a bit of map designing with radiant although mostly for an open source version of the old UFO game. I have started to look at map design for ET and it don't look to hard. I would love to maybe present some maps here in the future, if I get something awsome done.
Hi mk13.se, a couple of years ago with other two people of sfs clan i started to build a map. Unfortunately, the lack of knowledge, control of software and the code to use, has slowed down much the development of the map, till it ceased completely.
What I'd like to know, if you'd like to share some info, is the workflow that you use in the development of a map, mostly from the point of view of the software used and the steps to be followed. I work with 3D animation software like Maya, so I'm not new to the context. Mainly the problem, for me, is a workflow pipeline and the use of a software (GtKRadiant, netRadiant and the like) that is old and not very user friendly: P

Sorry, if I'm OT, but didn't want to miss the opportunity.
I'm an engineer...
mk13.se

Post by mk13.se »

Well, I'm not shure I understand your question right. But working in the gtk radiant is a bitch to be quite onest. I use to do seperate objects in seperate instances of the program, and have one window were i put it al together. Itherwise it gets al cluttred up. So for a small building, I do it seperate and then copy it into the large map. And larger buildings might be done by sections, just to keep things as maintainable as possible. If that was your question? Quite like you might do several different parts in software like Catia or ProE and then combine the parts in a product. Do you follow me and did I answere your question?
Gaunt

Post by Gaunt »

Thank you for the quick reply!
To put it briefly. When we planned the map we were concerned first of all to recreate a story (taking inspiration from real events) and then to the development of the action (defining what had to happen, steal files, make something explode).
Then we sketched out a plan which would take place in the various phases.
So far I would say that the production process (or rather the pre-production) took place quite well.

The realization part has led to some problems. I have a couple of questions for you :)

As you say buildings or complex structures are made in blocks and then put together (prefab, right?).
My problem was about issues like the fusion of textures (for example, when changing the ground of a hill in a grassy path).
I found that there is a possibility to make it with a script for the shader of the object, but have no idea how, how you manage this?

Doing some research I saw that you can import an .obj file into radiant as "game object" (if I remember correctly) but the problem is that Radiant, to make it as a "physical" obstacle (ie to block the bullets or players), fills it with a lot polygons that can slow down the game. So the only solution is to work directly in Radiant? Or you can use other editors?

mk13.se wrote:But working in the gtk radiant is a bitch to be quite onest.

I totally agree! [smilie=dash2.gif]
I'm an engineer...
mk13.se

Post by mk13.se »

Well, when int comes to shaders and textures, i'm not shure how to answere your question. There is several ways of adding a path like texture to a hill. One way is to just make the path as a seperate part and then patch things together. Other solutions is to fiddle around with texture and shader sliders.
With objects you just have to be carfull when editing the properties of the imported ombject. If it doesnt have the correct flags set then it will not stop bullets or players and stuff like that.
I've done al my modelling in radiant so I havnt played around with importing things from other 3D programs. I use 3-4 different windows of radiant, just to keep things structured while I build. Now it seems to be some difference with flags and things in ET that I have not encountered in UFO AI, progress is slow.
mk13.se

Post by mk13.se »

Oi!
I'm gone over the summer and suddenly we have this awsome stopwatch thing, and at the same time I read that the number of active players are falling. Is it perhaps due to the nice weather in northern europe?
People just staying at the beach instead of playing?
Hopefully things will pic up again when the rains and the cooler weather returns!

Me, I'm going back to the great outdoors for another few weeks before I start playing again. Just hopeing things wont change for the worse while I'm gone.

Keep up the good work on the server and stay frosty!