The XP limit

Ideas to improve our server or the forum.

Suitable XP limit

campaign long
17%
30%
9%
17%
No votes
No votes
unlimited*
26%

Total votes: 23
*QueenMary*
her blog

Re: The XP limit

Post by *QueenMary* »

ok ok ok ok ok noxx you won... no campaign save then [smilie=mosking.gif]

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
noxx

Post by noxx »

gaoesa wrote: First I will attack against this.
4.) people think about not joining the server if there are only few people, cause they want to conserve their time till next reset. So they only play, when the server is better populated or more interesting players are gaming... (a vicious circle - of course [smilie=prankster.gif] )
I don't see why would people do that. If the server has only few non player characters (bots), there would very easy to collect some xp and to be ready for the more intense games. You could do !xpreset as well. It is available to everyone.
Well...Yes and no :)
I agree that bot killing is a effective methods for stats padding. And it's a reason for people joining an empty server. So those people will make the server more interesting for others - that's an advantage not to be sneezed at...
But this kind of people you mentioned usually don't really play on the server - they do some bot-slaughtering to gain XP in the class they need do improve. They (not all - of course but many of those players) are not interested in an objective gameplay and to play against those ones is as exciting as playing against bots. So in this case joining the server can be disappointing...
By the way: the average player has 5000XP and no need to join the server of this reason...

gaoesa wrote: The disadvantage of a full fops is that it will always see who is a disguised enemy. This skill also carries over classes. In other words, the operations of coverts would become a lot harder.
Never noticed that - interesting to know... I guess I rarely play fops ;)
gaoesa wrote:In the end, as you can see from the poll, most of our most present regulars really like the 10k limit.
That's always the problem with statistics: it depends on the interpretion... You can also say that there are 3 groups of people: Group1 wants the campain, group2 is pleased with the 10k llimit and group3 wants to increase the limit. Than you will notice, that there are 8 people who vote for 20k or more and 8 who vote for 10k...
[smilie=dance3.gif]

(okok... maybe it's more accurate to count the campain-fraction to the 10k-limit-supporters... ;) )
gaoesa wrote: [...] So the discussion QueenMary started is an important one.
Yes :D
I understood it as an invitation to discuss the pros, cons and influence of changing those settings.

As already stated (I think...): Those points I mentioned are only points I think it's worth talking/thinking about. It's certainly not always my opinion but just thoughts about it.

For me there is just one point why I play ET - and this is fun ! I'm definitely no XP-junkie and I don't really care about my XPs or ranking or whatever... Killing 10 or more other players in a row my be a self-fulfillment for some other gamers. But for me it's far, far away from beeing killed by e.g. **QM** followed by the invitation to pull her finger or other comments of this [smilie=on_the_quiet.gif] kind. That's what makes me laugh [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=derisive.gif]

Maybe someone can find more of those nice voice-chats... this could be an improvement ;) ...but that's another issue...

Cheers
[smilie=drinks.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

That's always the problem with statistics: it depends on the interpretion... You can also say that there are 3 groups of people: Group1 wants the campain, group2 is pleased with the 10k llimit and group3 wants to increase the limit. Than you will notice, that there are 8 people who vote for 20k or more and 8 who vote for 10k...
You are absolutely correct about it. The statistics don't accurately describe the most wanted limit, in a sense that it would please the majority, because there are too many options above the 10k and the logig does not summarise them :)

Ok, some people like to collect XP, that is true. This server is however a little bit different and I don't think many players would be so pleased with the XP collecting emphasis over the objective playing.

About voice chats, the server developer team (Lara and QueenMary) talk about new sound pack, but they are too lazy to make proper suggestions. :P In other words, it would just fall to my hands. Well, I hope to make a new pack soon.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

gaoesas quotation from our internal thread:
It's so much work to do the soundpacks. I'll be on it. I'll test dividing the sounds to 2 packs possibly so that there would be some constant base sounds that don't change.

The biggest work is to get them all have the same volume.
so who is too lazy?

[smilie=sarcastic_hand.gif] [smilie=sarcastic_hand.gif] [smilie=mosking.gif] [smilie=mosking.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

That was after I realized that you weren't going to do anything [smilie=angry2.gif]
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

[smilie=to_pick_ones_nose_eat.gif] [smilie=mosking.gif]

well lara and i spent hours on skype chosing songs and deciding what parts to cut out... lara edited the songs and worked on the size and the volume and sent you a couple of zips full of sounds ... thats why i opened the thread in our internal area asking about the sounds!

they just have to find their way to the server dont they? [smilie=music.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

Yes, you have done lot in that regard. However, updating existing soundpack is not that simple and I'm not even very enthusiastic to do that. I would prefer having suggestions of what sounds get removed and what sounds replace them.

Then I will probably have to edit them a little like last time.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

but we discussed that as well actually.... read our internal thread again... we gave all suggestions.... [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=mosking.gif]
or should we go through it again? [smilie=whistle.gif]

ill give my suggestions now. then they should be ready to get their place on the server!
noxx

Post by noxx »

*QueenMary* wrote:ok ok ok ok ok noxx you won... no campaign save then [smilie=mosking.gif]
:D
I don't think campains are bad - I like campains.... I just think it's not a good method for getting a well populated server. (Because of the high fluctuation of players) :)

Maybe we could do some "summer-special" campain in this way (somehow similar to the tournament):
- find some players who are interested in playing a campain
- figure out some good choosen map-circle (maybe same amount of maps with allied / axis attackers)
- setup a seperate server (could be the same hardware just differnt port, of course)
- find some fixed date / time the campain starts - particularly somewhere in the evening (this could be a singular thing or maybe every e.g. friday at 21h)
- setup some rules and ensure the mates notice them (e.g.: ask the people for playing objective, even teams, and not to leave before the campain ends if possible at all,... somehow similar to the tournament but not this strict. The server could be password protected and the password can be mentioned beside the rules posted somewhere here in this forum... - just a suggestion )
- some sort of a moderating admin taking part of the campain would be the ideal case

Maybe this is a way to get Marys long desired [smilie=pleasantry.gif]summer-special-campain [smilie=pleasantry.gif]. I would participate if it's possible for me (depends on date/time of course).

One disadvantage has to be mentioned here: those taking part of the campain can't play on the regular server and this could make the regular server less attractive - for this evening(s)...

[smilie=bye.gif] [smilie=dance3.gif]
noxx

Post by noxx »

One word to the voice-chat sounds:

I've no idea if you (especially gaoesa) can use all sounds found somewhere out there. Maybe he has to watch out for some copyright ??!? I know that nearly every server has such sounds but I don't know if they where just tolerated or if just noone cares... I've no experience with this, but maybe this could be dangerous....
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I do not see it a good practise to use sounds downloaded from other servers soundpacks. I only sounds that are produced by us, that are downloaded from e.g. wolfmap or other websites that offer sounds to be used freely. Also, if i can get permission from some serveradmin or soundpack creator to use sounds from their packs, I can use them.

This time I asked and got permission from N!trox to use sounds he had in his soundpack and some of the new sounds are from there.

In other words, the server soundpack is updated. If it were up to Queeny, there would probably be much more changes, but unfortunately she is not properly online till tomorrow I think.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development