The XP limit

Ideas to improve our server or the forum.

Suitable XP limit

campaign long
17%
30%
9%
17%
No votes
No votes
unlimited*
26%

Total votes: 23
gaoesa
Site Admin
her blog

The XP limit

Post by gaoesa »

Here is the question, what should the XP save limit be?

Please answer to this with comments if you have some and especially by voting.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
*QueenMary*

Re: The XP limit

Post by *QueenMary* »

ahm im wondering what you guys think if we do a little summer special here too and have campaign save just for a while to have a little change!!

cheers
[smilie=triniti.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

With what campaign?

Sorry Queeny but the campaign option is no longer valid with map voting.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

well we had that map voting version for a while now.... the best maps make it into a nice campaign and we get the campaign save back for a while ;) [smilie=whistle.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

That was what we used before :P

I really think the map voting is better. This way the players always play the map they want to :P
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

i still want to hear more opinions about this [smilie=smoke.gif] [smilie=on_the_quiet.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

Maybe I will lock this topic [smilie=on_the_quiet.gif]
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

[smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=hunter.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

[smilie=crazy.gif]
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
Lara C.
Site Admin

Post by Lara C. »

Keep it as it is ... it is great at the moment. But that is only my piont of view [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif]
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

ok i want more opinions other than laras [smilie=mosking.gif]
noxx

Post by noxx »

Hello @ALL [smilie=beach.gif]

as stated before in the in-game-chat: from the listet options I like the unlimited version most :D
Even better would be to give all players the same abilities at all time - e.g. giving all players all options just when they enter the server - even if they have 0 XP (In Jaymod this is possible - Nitmod should have a similar option)

Reasons (IMHO - some points belong to me myself others are behaviors noticed during in-game):

1.) this gives all players at all time the same chance

2.) it's a little bit boring to play the 'victim' when XP resets

3.) if XP resets, the chance that people leave the server increases (not leaving for ever but - let's say - for this evening)

4.) people think about not joining the server if there are only few people, cause they want to conserve their time till next reset. So they only play, when the server is better populated or more interesting players are gaming... (a vicious circle - of course [smilie=prankster.gif] )

5.) I like just to game... without watching my XPs... not to reset it when the server is poor-staffed to be 'ready' for the all-evening-peak-time (I guess this is the main-use for the '!resetmyxp' command...)

6.) XP reset is not a good option to get people playing different classes - other options are more suitable to balance the classes (e.g. disabling the adrenalin was an excellent, gentle and genteel method vs. 'rambo-medics')

7.) somehow belongs to 6.) - people are going to pimp a classes just to gain abilities and do not play a class witch is reasonable for the running map... an objective gamestyle is the exact opposite

With the Campain-Mode it's nearly the same: some mentioned points get even worse and others do not apply any more. Playing a campain only makes sense and fun, if you join at the beginning of the campain and this is difficult to handle. I'm not sure, if I would join a running campain e.g. in 2nd half of it...

I don't think that switching the server to the 'unlimited XP mode' solves all problems, has no disadvantage and is the best for all out there. But you asked for my opinion... there it is

[smilie=yahoo.gif]

Cheers
[smilie=drinks.gif]
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

well noxx what you say makes a lot of sense to me [smilie=popcorm2.gif]

i mainly agree but about this i gotta say----
Playing a campain only makes sense and fun, if you join at the beginning of the campain and this is difficult to handle. I'm not sure, if I would join a running campain e.g. in 2nd half of it...
well if the campaigns arent that huge i guess that wouldnt be such a big problem.

getting connected at the wrong time because its in the middle of a campaign is the only negative aspect i actually see!

there are soooooooooooo many xp save servers but hardly any campaign save servers. to get more players on the server would work better with campagne save as well, as there wouldnt be so many "rival servers"!!

thanx for your feedback noxx [smilie=thank_you2.gif]

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
noxx

Post by noxx »

Hi Mary,

well - let me think about small campains... this would mean, that

- people joining late will start with 0 XP and have a greate disadvantage
- people are playing only one class and don't want to switch to a more objective-relevant one
- nearly noone would gain all possible abilities of one class
- maybe a medic can only give you half of your health-points back
- no akimbos
- some maps are very hard with an e.g. 2-stars engi
- nearly noone has adrenaline
- an experienced cop will never be noticed by the enemy
- ammo could get scarce (...and no akimbos...)
- less arty

Many of the mentioned negative points could be improved if the XPs for a skill would be reduced (I'm nearly sure there is a server-side-option in Nitmot for this). But the shorter the campain lasts, the more difficult it would be to fine-tune this.

I think, that campains cause a less relaxed gameplay - just joining a server, playing a medic for a while, switch to an engi when needed or to a cops when it's indicated by the map (...) would't be so easy. It could end up with e.g. noone willing (or able) to play the field op to stop the tank. And since playing the field op is basically a defending technique, the axis team may get one more disadvantage and is even more unattractive...

Does a campain has any affect on people switching teams ? I'm not sure... To prevent people from switching teams wouldn't be a good idea - may cause uneven teams... hmmm... the mentioned experienced field op (if there really is one...) would prefere to play on the defendig team - mostly axis... The cops is typically an attacking weapon... I have to think about it. Generally I think teamswitching should be made as easy as possible and undependent of the running map etc. Basically it's a good idea to make the axis team as attractive as the allied one. Maybe a campain (especially a short one) leads in the opposite direction...

So - no ... I can't believe that campain-mode gives a more attractive server / is more fun to play outside a timed match or tournament...

But I'm open to (nearly) all new things - I would try it so Mary can disabuse me...
(...but I don't think that she would be successfull :D )

[smilie=bye.gif] [smilie=dance3.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

Nice to hear your thoughts Mr. Noxx. You have well thought opinions and I do see many of your points. For instance, I agree with you that the campaign long XP-save wouldn't be so good. There are multiple negative effects with going into campaign mode again. I will not discuss about those under this topic.

About the things I disagree, I will try to give my views.

First I will attack against this.
4.) people think about not joining the server if there are only few people, cause they want to conserve their time till next reset. So they only play, when the server is better populated or more interesting players are gaming... (a vicious circle - of course [smilie=prankster.gif] )
I don't see why would people do that. If the server has only few non player characters (bots), there would very easy to collect some xp and to be ready for the more intense games. You could do !xpreset as well. It is available to everyone.

I understand the point you made about the defending fops. I also admit that I have never thought about it that way.

The disadvantage of a full fops is that it will always see who is a disguised enemy. This skill also carries over classes. In other words, the operations of coverts would become a lot harder.

In the end, as you can see from the poll, most of our most present regulars really like the 10k limit. Eventhough that limit was made solely by me and everyone was against it. :) It is the closest thing we can have about campaign long XP save. Actually I don't really get at all why the XP save should be changed to campaign long one. The collected XP would look just about the same as it looks now, with the difference that more often you can join the game without the need to start from scratch. I opened this poll to see if there would be a need for a longer XP save period. So the discussion QueenMary started is an important one.

Please go on with the discussion and if you come to the conclusion that the XP limit should be higher, I will change it to a higher one.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development