Lifting no sk rule

Ideas to improve our server or the forum.

Lift no SK rule

Leave the no SK rule as is
64%
Remove the no SK rule
36%

Total votes: 14
gaoesa
Site Admin
her blog

Lifting no sk rule

Post by gaoesa »

How about it. Should the no spawnkilling rule be lifted from the server?
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
*QueenMary*

Re: Lifting no sk rule

Post by *QueenMary* »

i actually voted for "no the no sk rule shouldnt be lifted" but lets be honest... doing sk is a fun thing... of course as long as the players dont start spawncamping badly...

how about doing some kind of summer special where we try out to play without that sk rule? if we like it we keep it that way and if we dont we get the rule back again... so we got nothing to lose actually ;) therefore i voted for yes now [smilie=popcorm1.gif]

id like to hear/see more opinions on that please [smilie=smoke.gif]

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
TheSilencerPL

Post by TheSilencerPL »

I voted for "yes" just to try it despite I am for leaving the rule rather. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish 'sk' from 'no sk' as sometimes it's very hard to tell where the spawn border is. By this means we will get rid of the problem :) We will see if we change to spawn campers or not, if we do we can bring the rule back, don't we? Or maybe we will start to like it :) Dunno. But anyway what's the fun in Gold Rush then with no sk rule on when you can't place MG in front of spawn exit? What would Kamu do without it? [smilie=laugh3.gif] [smilie=suicide.gif]
"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it."
-- E. Hubbard
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

You can revote in the poll as much as you like.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

absolutely mister silencer [smilie=drinks.gif]

we can just do sth which we werent allowed to do so far which will spice up the game a little... besides in our tournament games, sk is allowed as well.
im sure many of us will like it.... sure, the sk rule makes sense and i actually favour it as i said already but i think we have the right community to be able to lift that rule and start some wilde style of playing [smilie=mosking.gif] at least for a while [smilie=smoke.gif]

thx silencer for your feedback and im looking forward to reading more opinions on that subject [smilie=popcorm1.gif]

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
Lara C.
Site Admin

Post by Lara C. »

I don´t want a server where sk is allowed. There are enough server that have the no-sk rule lifted. I like the way it is now, even from time to time there are different meanings about where sk starts or where the sk-border is actually.
If we lift the no-sk-rule we can also introduce the heavy weapons again ... [smilie=negative.gif] [smilie=negative.gif] [smilie=negative.gif] [smilie=russian_roulette.gif] [smilie=russian_roulette.gif] [smilie=russian_roulette.gif] [smilie=nono.gif] [smilie=nono.gif] [smilie=nono.gif]
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

well i agree on you lara and thats why i think that we should only lift that rule as a kind of summer special where everything except for cheating is allowed.... less rules ---> more fun [smilie=victory.gif] ;)

i do think that having some changes sometimes keeps this whole thing alive... just because we decide to lift the no sk rule it doesnt mean that we will never get this rule back.... [smilie=on_the_quiet.gif]

[smilie=angel.gif]
Lara C.
Site Admin

Post by Lara C. »

But when it is lifted once it is very difficult to get it back again. I will agree with allowing sk when you (queen) promise me that you will NEVER EVER eat a kebab again :D [smilie=on_the_quiet.gif] [smilie=on_the_quiet.gif] :D :D

Edit: Why not allowing it at certain days? For example only monday, tuesday and saturdays sk is allowed
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

well of course if the server fills all of a sudden and very fast and if we have a huge community because of the lifted no sk rule and if we all have fun with it why of course should we get the no sk rule back?

but i dont think that will happen so if we clear up from the very beginning that the lifted no sk rule is a summer special only and will last lets say till the end of august and then we get out regular rules back everything should be fine and i dont see any difficulties actually [smilie=smoke.gif]

[smilie=angel.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

We have very little heavy weapons usage on the server. Probably because the mortar isn't that effective in most maps against 5 people.

I absolutely agree with lifting the sk rule. There are far more servers that have the rule then servers that don't have the rule. Of course it does mean that in some cases there can be players who start living in the spawns. Most times this of course would be ok because they rarely do any good for their team.

However, if the majortity of the opposing team gets to get spawnkills, it means more job for the admins. It's the admins job to make sure teams are closely even though perfectly even teams never happen and most times the defending team should be stronger anyway to make the map longer and more challenging. on the other hand, there is a bright side. When you can say that the opposing team does do spawnkilling, it is easy to see that the teams are uneven. Actually makes the job of evening the teams easier.

Biggest concern, in my mind, is the possibility of arty spamming. Remember, this is not Jaymod. The settings on the server are such that you can't put 2 artillerys at the same time. If your a full fops, you can start the next artillery just before the previous one stops. I think that it wouldn't put too much stress even with the artillery. I'm not particularly a fan of a no artillery areas but that's a future option, of course.

The spawn shield is at the moment 3 seconds, if I remember correctly. I can make it longer to make it easier to get out of spawn, without shooting. The spawn shield lifts as soon as the player attacks which means that he fires his weapon. It doesn't matter does the weapon hit or not. A future option would of course be to make the setting where the shield does not lift when the player fires his weapon.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

i dont see any difficulties actually
The difficulty is that if it's lifted, I get what I want and it may be hard to get it back :D

Ops, I probably shouldn't have said that [smilie=blush.gif]
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

hmmm i dont think the time of the spawnshields should be set higher than it is now for now if we lift the rule.

lets see how it works with the current settings and later on we can still discuss this and decide about it ;)
The difficulty is that if it's lifted, I get what I want and it may be hard to get it back :D
[smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif] [smilie=punish.gif]
noxx

Post by noxx »

if the rule is lifted i suggest to replace it with a 'no arty at spawn' rule (if there is'nt already one...)

[smilie=russian_roulette.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I don't support the no arty at spawn areas rule. The current no sk rule covers that area completely. My personal view is that some artying doesn't hurt near spawns. I also gave a lot of options to make the spawn arty aless rewarding. I hope that the case can be covered sufficiently with those.

I also think that there really shouldn't be any reason to think spawns are somehow safe heavens. All game area is game area and if the other team ends up defending the spawn, its time to mix up the deck a little so that everyone can have fun. Lifting the sk rule would not mean we would start favor any types of raters or other lamers who seek easy kills.

The spawnkilling has been part of the game since it was published. The heritage of it started from the RtCW. The increasing amount of no sk servers is a relatively resent phenomenom. To succesfully implement the lack of rule, we oc course need active admining on the server that will, if needed, throw people from one team to another based on their ability to play well. In other words, break the team that makes advancing impossible after a reasonable amount of time with spawnkilling has happened.

That is a hard thing to do. You can't be to hasty when determining the team balances and you can't wait too long as people will leave if they spend their time in the game within their own spawn.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
-TheMightyG-

Post by -TheMightyG- »

tell you something guys ... let's lift the no SK rule, but the no spawncamping rule stays in place ... because spawncamping is no fun at all,
spawnkilling, i think on covertops, is :)
Himalia Tournament Head Admin
Himalia Gameserver Admin

Before PM me on any questions please read the following articles. If they
don't answer your question please do not hesitate to PM me or any other
tournament official.