player used bad name

Not happy? Problems with someone? Complaints about kicks, bans, admin level or abusive things.
neroWinger
her blog

player used bad name

Post by neroWinger »

today a romanian player with a bad name connected n played on the server
Attachments
2010-08-12-102244-braundorf_final.jpg
2010-08-12-102244-braundorf_final.jpg (217.58 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
-= Aklel =-

Re: player used bad name

Post by -= Aklel =- »

neroWinger is right this morning joined a player with a bad name. I think that such names should be filtered if possible.
-= obedience will be rewarded =-
Riksman

Post by Riksman »

OH MY GOD!!!WE MUST REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE AND ARMY!ARREST HIM! [smilie=help.gif]

i was being sarcastic [smilie=swoon.gif]
[smilie=russian.gif] Родион
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

still not acceptable riks ;)
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

It's a game. If we start to draw line with offending names, where it will be. I agree that there are names like Hitler that are examples of bad taste. However, it is within the context of the game.

I will much rather draw the line in players that actually offend people then players that have names that are of bad taste or that some (individual) players think are offending.

There is no way there will be a name filter for some but not all offending player names.

Thank you for reporting anyway.

If he would have started offending other players, I would have been more then happy giving him long or even permanent ban. In this instance (from the logs), he didn't even say anything, he just used name that reminded of nazi germany. Nazi germany did happen, some people may get offended from the name hitler in a computer game. However, there is no reason to start banning people without knowing why they have used some name when they don't even say a word on the server.

Please keep reporting, but please also keep the reports about people that do, in fact, offend players. Not about some random people who just have used the wrong name, although historically correct one.

Ps. I do know that any reference about nazi germany is illegal in Poland. I'm not sure how illegal it would be to use the name Hitler in Germany. But this server is in Finland and we(finnish) don't have thin skins.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
http://mygamingtalk.com/
neroWinger

Post by neroWinger »

it s not the name hitler, but in combination with ss it s offensive imo
btw i know that most of these ppl who r using names like this havent any deep knowledge of history and just wanna have some fun with their names
but i think it was worth to report
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

I appreciate the report and if he would have started to offend other players, minimize the nazi crimes (or the crimes committed by the Wehrmacht) or other shit, I would take action. This time it was just a player name without anything else, more incriminating.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

banning someone for a reason like this would definitely be too much but still i think that this was a very bad "joke" ..... a joke is supposed to be funny and make pple laugh but i dont see the funny point in this hitler name either.... i think it is important that riks understands that and doesnt take this report personal.....
at this point i want to admit sth.... ET is the first online war game i have ever played in my life and the first few months when i started playing ET i absolutely refused to play as axis .... of course i do know its only a game... but it somehow was a bad feeling for me personally to play a game being a nazi killing around.... then of course i have realized that people only see this as a GAME and dont see any real connection to history itself... they just wanna have fun and shoot around without having any bad intentions..... now i rather play as axis as im over it [smilie=mosking.gif] ... but still i think real nazi names have nothing to do in this game

especially when very young guys start to joke around with this sensitive subject, it has to be said that this is not right..... ;)

!kebapround FOR ALL

!XXL KEBAP FOR QUEEN [smilie=mosking.gif] [smilie=to_pick_ones_nose_eat.gif]

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

you know im the most anti communist person there can be.im fin and im pretty aware of my countrys history

yet if someone would namy his charather kgb stalin i wouldnt be mad about because its just a game he just decided to pick a name that was connected to the game maybe made a lame joke that everyone still likes he didnt try to say anything like die jews or im rasict :| the hell he even might be a Jewish himself!

why does people get offended about names so easily?

this is like my new name all over again :( (himalian)
TheSilencerPL

Post by TheSilencerPL »

why does people get offended about names so easily?
Maybe it's because it's better not to allow such bad ideas of any form to spread at all. I mean if we allow it to cross 1 border then it will be easier for it to cross another one.
"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it."
-- E. Hubbard
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

very well explained and i absolutely agree on your comment silencer ;)

real nazi names have nothing to do in a world war game like we are playing it

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

naah dunno...i mean a friend of mine is called solttu

it is finnish and means soldier

natzis had soldiers fighting in their frontlines

:|
*QueenMary*

Post by *QueenMary* »

oh my oh my ... well in that case we shouldnt be playing ET at all.... :D

thats not the point puolakanaho.... specific names like hitler make the game more realistic and you never know whats on peoples mind ;)

with the name soldier you cant identify any specific/known nazi .... ET is supposed to be a game just for fun therefore realistic names have nothing to do here [smilie=rtfm.gif]

cheers
[smilie=queen.gif]
gaoesa
Site Admin

Post by gaoesa »

puolakanaho, your first post in this thread was still good one. However, the solttu thing is very far fetched. Regardless of the role Wehrmacht had in the attrocities.

You are correct in one thing. Using the name Hitler is not the same when used in ET and when used in some childrens game.

The facts are:
* There is no rule against names that do not directly offend someone and they aren't imposing as admins. This includes the nazi names.
* 9 out of 10 pleople who pick names like Hitler are retarded or at least extremely stupid. Actually, if they would really be retarded, people should have more patience with them. The word retarded just describes their stupidity in an excellent way.
* Picking up names that are stupid, provocative or offencive usually picks also the attention of other players and those players are more likely to get kicked from server by the actions of the fellow players (kick vote) or by the actions of the admins (less tolerance for rule offences).
* There is no way name "suitability" can be tracked. If players find some names so disturbing it distracts them from the game, they should mention it to that player.

With that said. There is nothing wrong when people say they don't like that name. It is a valid opinion and should be respected. In most cases if the player who uses the "bad" name is told it is bad name and he is not retarded like already described above, they will change it. It is a game afterall.
- Douglas Adams

silEnT development
puolakanaho

Post by puolakanaho »

i just tried to make an example

but then again its game and i dont get mad over things like player name

and then again when i changed my name to himalian you told me to change and i didnt change(because if would have ruined the whole thing)does that make me retarded?